John Williams’ 1965 novel “Stoner” focuses on a rather melancholy and emotional story about the journey of a Missouri farmer turned English Literature professor. It is filled with beautiful inspirational passages about the moment we discover our life’s passions. It took me on a very personal journey through my own memories.
William Goldman’s “The Season: A Candid Look at Broadway”, although published in 1969, is still incredibly relevant to the present day behind-the-scenes world of the Great White Way. A must read for anyone interested in the theatre.
Lionel Shriver’s “We Need To Talk About Kevin” (2003) is a startling novel about a Columbine-esque school shooting. Balanced amidst the horrors of this event, it is also a very thought provoking and brutally honest portrait of motherhood.
James Frey’s 2008 “Bright Shiny Morning” is a harrowing and riveting tale of life in Los Angeles. It’s like the West Coast version of Hubert Selby’s “Last Exit to Brooklyn” although without the ultra-violence (although there is some).
Erin Morgenstern’s 2011 magical debut novel, “The Night Circus”, was influenced by the Punchdrunk production of “Sleep No More”. She creates a wonderful mystical world that truly brings Le Cirque des Reves to life on the page as well as in our imaginations.
- beamingdaze likes this
- myflashgamebase likes this
- awickedchild likes this
- aichan likes this
- 23maxine likes this
- reference4medew0319 reblogged this from millionsmillions
- debechemode likes this
- avanlenten likes this
- asweetunrest likes this
- burt-macklin-fbi likes this
- notashark likes this
- barriodysmorphia likes this
- strangesyntheticperfumes likes this
- littlesurrender likes this
- thenorthgoingzax likes this
- cannibalanimals likes this
- akajakeedwardmarks likes this
- elewoods likes this
- snowflake-d likes this
- taylorlorenz likes this
- millionsmillions reblogged this from akajakeedwardmarks and added:
- millionsmillions likes this
- purple-swallow likes this
- emjonez said: thanks for this. Night Circus was recommended by a friend, but I didn’t realize how strongly she was inspired by SNM. Check this out: erinmorgenstern.com/tag… started the book last night and can’t put it down
- emjonez likes this
- dreamingofmanderley said: I’m excited to start The Night Circus…thanks to your recommendation.
- akajakeedwardmarks posted this